3.8.05

Miles of food

The Guardian takes up the issue of food miles again, pointing out that not only is it almost impossible in a supermarket to work out where ingredients apart from fruit and veg are coming from (take muesli, for example) but also we're all travelling in our cars to get to said supermarket, and adding yet more food miles to the total. I have to admit I'm as guilty as anyone here - we try and shop locally for fruit and veg, and try and get meat from the farmers' market, but it's still Morrisons or Tesco that gets our custom for everything else. What's worse, Morrisons is about 8 minutes walk away...but I usually take the car because I can't carry everything back. I know I've got a good excuse (being pregnant sometimes comes in handy), but it doesn't stop you feeling any less guilty...

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

That's a very interesting article. We hear about buying local a lot too, but it's difficult to do anywhere but the farmers market in the summer. None of our shops specify where anything is from and it is pointless to ask the teenagers that work there. Just last Friday my husband bought some tomatos at a farmers market we'd never been to before. They had big "Grown locally" signs everywhere. When he handed me the bag, I noticed a label he'd not seen...the tomatos were from BC, about 700 km away!

4:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw something a while back where 'local' sprouts were being offered for sale in a Tesco (I think) in Scotland. Indeed, the sprouts were grown locally. Unfortunately, they were sent to Poland for trimming and packing, then back to Scotland for sale...

11:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home